《词汇掌故》:一开始就顺利 分享到
Start Off on the Right Foot 2021-08-0324785

中英
Việt-Anh
ไทย-อังกฤษ
英文

双击原文单词查看解释

原文跟读

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
现在是美国之音慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
Today we talk about something that you might take for granted.
今天我们讨论一些你可能认为理所当然的事情。
You might not think about them or appreciate their value and worth.
你可能不会想到他们,也不会欣赏他们的价值。
Your feet!
就是你的脚!
We just expect them to be there when we need them.
我们只希望他们在我们需要的时候出现。
But our feet are important.
但我们的脚很重要。
And they have managed to walk right into many English expressions.
许多英语表达中都有他们的身影。
Lets talk about some.
现在让我们来谈谈这样的表达吧。
First, lets put our best foot forward.
首先,是“let’s put our best foot forward.”(让我们全力以赴。)
This means you act in the best possible way to show your best possible self.
这意味着你以最好的方式表现最好的自己。
Sometimes we do this to impress others.
有时我们这样做是为了给别人留下深刻印象。
But sometimes we just want to do the best job we can or be the best person we can.
但有时我们只是想做最好的工作,或成为最好的人。
At work, people who put their best foot forward, work fast and do the job well.
在工作中,那些全力以赴、快速工作并把工作做好的人。
Heres another foot expression: To start off on the right foot.
这是另一个关于脚的表达:To start on the right foot。(一开始就顺利。)
If something starts off on the right foot, it means it starts off in a good way.
如果某事start off on the right foot,意思是它以一种好的方式开始。
For example, you can start your day off on the right foot.
例如,顺利的一天开始了。
You can start a class off on the right foot.
第一堂课很顺利。
If you start or get off on the right foot,
如果你start或get off on the right foot,
you immediately have success when you begin an activity, a project, a job, or even a relationship.
那么当你开始一项活动、一个项目、一份工作甚至一段关系时,你马上就成功了。
For example, when you are starting a new job, you want to start off on the right foot with your new coworkers.
例如,当你开始一份新工作时,你想一开始就和你的新同事处好关系。
And if you have a new boyfriend or girlfriend, you really want to start off on the right foot with their parents.
如果你有了新男友或女友,你真的希望能和他们的父母有个好的开始。
Maybe you just met a new friend.
也许你刚认识了一个新朋友。
You also want to get off on the right foot with their group of friends.
你也想和他们的朋友搞好关系。
All of this means that you want to leave a good impression -- especially when you first meet.
所有这些都意味着你要给对方留下一个好印象——尤其是第一次见面的时候。
In fact, we have a special saying about that:
事实上,我们对此有一句特别的话:
"You dont get a second chance to make a first impression."
“你没有第二次机会给人留下第一印象。”
If you make a bad first impression, you have started off on the wrong foot.
如果你第一次给人留下了不好的印象,那说明你一开始就错了。
And it is harder to repair relationships when they start off poorly.
如果一开始关系就不好,修复关系就更难了。
Also, it is harder to get a project back on track if it started on the wrong foot.
而且,如果一开始就做错了,那就很难回到正轨。
Some word experts say that ancient superstitions thought that the right foot was luckier than the left.
一些词汇专家说,古代迷信认为右脚比左脚幸运。
So, it was good luck to start off with the right foot instead of the left.
所以,用右脚开始是很幸运的,而不是用左脚。
Now lets hear two friends use some of these expressions.
现在让我们来听两个朋友如何使用这些表达。
A: Wow! You look great!Is that a new business suit?
A:哇!你看起来太棒了!那是一套新西装吗?
B: No. Ive had this suit for years.
B:不是。这套西装我穿了好几年了。
But I think Ive gained some weight during the pandemic.
但我想我在疫情期间体重增加了一些。
A: Well, it DOES look a little tight.
A:嗯,它看起来确实有点紧。
Maybe try unbuttoning the jacket.
也许可以试着解开夹克的扣子。
B: Good idea.
B:好主意。
A: Your hair cut looks great too.
A:你的发型看起来也很棒。
So, where are you going all dressed up?
所以,你穿成这样是要去哪?
B: Today I start a new job … in a new office … with new people.
B:今天我新工作入职,全新的办公室,全新的同事。
A: Thats a big deal.
A:这是一件大事。
I mean weve all been working from home for more than a year.
我的意思是我们都在家工作了一年多了。
B: Tell me about it!It feels strange to wear a suit.
B:说得对!穿西装感觉很奇怪。
But with my new job ...
但是有了我的新工作……
I REALLY want to start off on the right foot.
我真的很想有个好的开始。
You know what they say:
你知道他们怎么说的吗:
You dont get a second chance to make a first impression.
你不会有第二次机会给人留下第一印象。
A: In that case, maybe you should wear REAL shoes.
A:那样的话,也许你应该穿双正式鞋。
Its hard to put your best foot forward wearing your house slippers.
穿着家居拖鞋很难给人留下好印象。
B: Oh no! Im wearing slippers!
B:噢,天哪!我竟然穿的是拖鞋!
I have to go all the way back home and get my shoes.
我得回家去换鞋。
Now, Ill be late!
现在,我要迟到了!
A: Looks like you have to choose:
A:看来你得选择了:
Start off on the wrong foot by showing up late or by wearing slippers.
迟到还是穿拖鞋,你一开始就出师不利。
B: Hmm … You know, maybe no one will notice my footwear.
B:嗯……你知道,也许没有人会注意到我的鞋子。
But my boss will definitely notice if Im late.
但是如果我迟到了,我的老板一定会注意到的。
so, I guess … slippers it is!
所以,我想……还是穿拖鞋吧!
A: Just stay at your desk as much as you can.
尽可能多地呆在办公桌前就行了。
Good luck!
祝你好运!
B: Thanks!See you later!
B:谢谢!再见!
Hopefully you started your day off on the right foot with some English lessons from VOA Learning English!
希望你在美国之音学习英语的一些课程中开始了你的一天!
And thats all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》的全部内容。
Until next time …
我们下期再见!
Im Anna Matteo.
我是安娜·马泰奥。

点击加载更多

我的生词本