一个单词“so”是如何替代更多信息的 分享到
How 'So' Can Replace a Lot of Information 2021-08-0722187

中英
Việt-Anh
ไทย-อังกฤษ
英文

双击原文单词查看解释

原文跟读

Think about American movies or books that you know.
想想你知道的美国电影或书籍。
You have probably heard or read statements such as
你可能听过或读到过这样的句子:
"I guess so," "I dont think so," or "he said so."
“我想是这样的”、“我不这么认为”或“他这么说过”。
In todays Everyday Grammar, you will learn about the grammar behind such statements.
在今天的《日常语法》中,你将学习这些句子中的语法。
We will explore shortened clauses.
我们将探讨从句的简写。
You will learn about the word so,
你将学习so这个词,
and how it commonly replaces one kind of clause in everyday speaking and writing.
以及它是如何在日常口语和写作中代替一种从句的。
But first, lets begin by finding out what a clause is.
但首先,我们先来看看什么是从句。
Clauses are groups of words with a subject and a predicate,
从句一个有主语和谓语的句子,
the part of the sentence that says something about the subject.
是句子中与主题有关的部分。
When a clause is independent, it is a complete sentence.
独立从句是一个完整的句子。
For example:
例如:
I love grammar.
我喜欢语法。
The subject is I, and the words love grammar make up the predicate.
主语是“I”,谓语是“love grammar”。
When a clause is dependent, it plays a part in a longer sentence.
非独立的从句是一个长句子的一部分。
For example:
例如:
I believe that learning grammar is important.
我认为学习语法很重要。
Here, the subject is I and the predicate is believe that learning grammar is important.
这里,主语是“I”,谓语是“believe that learning grammar is important”。
Note that a dependent clause, that learning grammar is important, appears in the predicate.
请注意,谓语中出现了一个从句,即“that learning grammar is important”。
There are different kinds of dependent clauses.
从句有不同的种类。
The one we are interested in begins with the word that - just like in the example you heard.
我们感兴趣的句子以that开头,就像你听到的例子一样。
You might be asking yourself how this discussion connects with the word so.
你可能会问自己,这个讨论是如何与so联系在一起的。
The answer is that English speakers often replace that-clauses with the word so, especially after certain verbs.
答案是:说英语的人经常用so代替that-clause(that从句),尤其是在某些动词之后。
The most common of these verbs include guess, think and hope.
这些动词中最常见的包括guess、think和hope(猜测、思考和希望)。
Consider this example.
看看这个例子:
Imagine two people are trying to decide about something to watch.
假设有两个人在试着决定要看什么。
Have you seen this movie?
你看过这部电影吗?
I dont think so.
我想我没有看过这部电影。
In the example, the word so replaces a that-clause.
在本例中,so一词取代了that从句。
If the speaker did not use so, the example would have sounded like this:
如果演讲者没有这样用,这个例子听起来应该是这样的:
Have you seen this movie?
你看过这部电影吗?
I dont think that I have seen this movie.
我想我没有看过这部电影。
English speakers often shorten noun clauses that would repeat what they have already said
说英语的人经常缩短名词从句,要不然会重复他们已经说过的话
- or what another speaker has said.
——或者另一位演讲者说了什么。
English speakers usually do not replace that-clauses if the information is new.
如果信息是新的,说英语的人通常不会替换that从句。
Lets think about another example:
我们再看一个例子:
Did you remember to turn off the gas stove before we left the house?
我们离开家之前,煤气炉关掉了吗?你记得吗?
I hope so.
我希望关掉了。
Such an answer is not very convincing and should be a cause for concern.
这样的回答不太令人信服,应该引起关注。
Please note that the example would have been longer if the word so were not used, as in:
请注意,如果不使用so一词,示例可能会更长,例如:
Did you remember to turn off the gas stove before we left the house?
我们离开家之前,煤气炉关掉了吗?你记得吗?
I hope that I remembered to turn off the gas stove before we left the house.
我希望在我们离开家之前,我有把煤气炉关掉。
One reason English speakers replace that-clauses with the word so is because of speed.
说英语的人用so代替that从句的一个原因是速度。
It is much faster to not repeat information.
不重复信息要快得多。
Discussions that repeat so much information would become too long!
重复这么多信息的讨论会变得太长!
The next time you are watching shows or reading books in English,
下次你看英语节目或看英文书的时候,
pay careful attention to how speakers use the word so.
注意说话者如何使用so这个词。
Make note of which verbs they use.
记下他们使用的动词。
And be sure to look for other kinds of words they use to replace clauses.
并且一定要找出他们用来代替从句的其他单词。
That might have to be a subject for another report.
这可能会成为另一份报告的主题。
Im John Russell.
约翰·拉塞尔为您播报。

点击加载更多

上一篇: 拯救珊瑚礁

下一篇: Remind与Remember的区别

评论

64x64

我的生词本